Sign up for this course this summer with our very own Imran Ghani
Course Title: Towards Better Practicing Islam
Year: Summer 2016
Dates: May 30th – July 15th
Times: 9:50am – 1:50pm
Instructor: Imran Ghani
Contact: i h ghani at g mail dot com or 71three 9two2 5two7zero
This course explores various areas of fundamental Islamic learning. Topics covered include the opening
chapter of the Qur’an (Surah al-Fatihah); personal-devotional obligations (fard ‘ayn) such as purification
(tahara), prayer (salah), and fasting (siyaam); prophetic biography (seerah); and purification of the heart
While students will survey a vast amount of content, they will master only the essential aspects of these
topics. The aim is to wet students’ appetite for getting closer to God and the Prophet Muhammad (S)
through the pursuit of knowledge and devotional practice.
Classes will be highly interactive with discussions, student presentations, short quizzes, and a final exam.
The instructor’s role will be to act as a fellow learner who guides students through demonstration,
dialogue, and active-reflective listening. These topics will be especially viewed through the pastoral lens
for the purpose of building faith, cultivating virtue, eradicating vice, and healing.
– Gain proficiency in reciting and understanding Surah Fatiha
– Learn the rules and virtues of purification, prayer, and fasting
– Read and discuss the biography of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
– Become conversant with the spiritual diseases of the heart and its cures
– Ultimately, draw nearer to God almighty and the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)